We all want our new cars and trucks to perform brilliantly from the moment we put the key in the dash. However, as any tuning expert will tell you, there’s tons of potential in even the sleekest of machines. That’s why so many gearheads invest in top SCT engine tuners to really upgrade their drives.
SCT is a leading brand and manufacturer in engine tuning. Tuning your engine is now easier than ever – as well as more precise – thanks to their amazing expertise. Of course, there are plenty of tuning brands out there, but SCT is one such name we really think is worth looking into.
But where do you even get started with an engine tuner? What is it about SCT that makes their products worthy of purchase? What’s your potential for HP.
In this guide, we’ll take a look at what you need to know about getting your own engine tuned up and working to its full HP potential.
Why SCT Tuners?
Many drivers and gearheads lean towards SCT’s car tuner range simply because they’ve been at the forefront of the tuning game for so long. Coming up on 20 years, the team specializes in creating robust, sustainable tuning solutions. To you and me, that means an SCT product is built to last, and is designed to offer almost unlimited insight into your driving potential. Generally, SCT has specialized in Dodge, GM, Ford, and Chrysler over the years. However, their tech is certainly broadening.
SCT’s color displays and tuning innovations made waves at the start of the 00s to mid-decade. Since then, they’ve upgraded their engine tuners to allow for touchscreen functionality, and a wider range of chip adjusting than ever before. However, what already worked brilliantly for SCT, remains unchanged. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
How Much HP Does an SCT Tuner Add?
You might expect to gain up to 120 HP with a diesel engine, up to 50 HP with a naturally aspirated gas engine, and up to 100 HP with a turbo-charged gas EcoBoost engine. SCT programmer kits are tuned more aggressively than most others on the market.
However, this is only really the max potential. The HP you could receive in the form of a tuning boost may vary depending on your vehicle, engine age, and of course, the engine tuner you end up purchasing.
So, our advice here would be to read the manufacturer details carefully and to consider your existing HP and performance. It’s a really good idea to keep an open mind, as many motorists before you – and many afterwards – will likely be disappointed when miscalculating the HP potential.
How Do I Tune an SCT Tuner?
Actively tuning your ECU with an SCT engine tuner will vary depending on the type of device you use. Often, it is simply a case of connecting the device through your vehicle’s relevant port and following the on-screen instructions.
However, for the purpose of this guide, let’s focus on how you can actually upload and use custom tunes for your engine.
To download and apply custom tunes through SCT engine tuners, you are going to need to either use the manual uploading process, or cloud sync.
- Cloud sync is generally the smoothest way to upload custom tunes, though you’ll only be able to use this function through select SCT tuners. These, at present, include the GTX and BDX.
- Make sure you connect your tuner to Wi-Fi, and that your tunes are available via the cloud.
- Choose ‘Program Vehicle’ once your tuner boots up, check the details on screen, and make sure your device is up to date and at the latest version. Then ‘Continue’ to sync with the cloud.
- You can then select available tunes, from your dealer or otherwise, and ‘Continue’ to upload them into your device. From there, follow the standard tuning process, as outlined in your SCT tuner manual.
- Manual sync will apply if you are using SCT tuners such as the Livewire or X4 lines, as these do not have cloud connectivity. However, it’s still easy enough to download and transfer custom tunes.
- You’ll need a PC or laptop to get started. That’s because you’ll need to download the relevant SCT device update software for your machine and tuning kit.
- Once this software is good to go, you will need to connect your tuner to your PC via USB cable. Make sure any custom tunes you want to use are ready on your desktop or somewhere you can easily transfer from.
- Open the Device Updater and make sure to head to Basic Operations. You’ll then need to click ‘Load Custom Tune File’, before ‘Locate Custom Tunes’. You’ll then browse tunes available.
Choose the tune you want, and the Updater program will port it into its own window under ‘Available Tunes’. Click the middle arrow and then ‘Program’ and give it time to transfer. Simple!
Benefits of an SCT Tuner
SCT performance tuner kits tend to be the best in the game – according to many experts – simply because of their sheer potential for massive HP.
The fact is, SCT has had plenty of time to design and develop fantastic tuning kits, meaning you can always expect their products to lead the way for many copycat devices. Since 2003, the company has cultivated a lot of praise.
These tuners also go beyond simply beefing up your engine with raw power. If you care more about the overall efficiency of your machine, then an SCT product is flexible to your needs. What’s more, you can tweak your tuning experience based on fuel economy, too.
SCT isn’t the only long running or reputable engine tuner brand out there, but it’s certainly near the top of the pile.
Why Buy From Us
We’re licensed partners of SCT products, and not only that, we retail a wide range of top rated engine tuners and alternative brands you’ll need to really bring the best out of your machine.
Why not take a look at our trusted catalog of tuners and tuning kits available right now?